Monday, September 24, 2012

September Bliss

Me and Justin needed a weekend away so we ventured to Spicewood and enjoyed quite a relaxing weekend! Justin went dove hunting and sighted in some guns while I sipped coffee and finally watched some Big 12 football. We stayed in the house my Memaw grew up in (its been redone) and learned a lot about my heritage while visiting with my great aunt and uncle, Honey and R.E (they live in a house built in the exact spot my great great grandparents homestead was.) I learned I can apply to be a daughter of the Republic of Texas because my grandmothers grandpa died in the battle of Goliad!


We started our Saturday with a beautiful walk through the pasture and up to my Memaw and Papaw's land. Justin was kind enough to hold my coffee while I took this darling picture of him.

Then we grabbed some lunch at Opies B-B-Q. We ordered an enough meat for an army-it lasted 3 meals! Then it was off to the Exotic Zoo in Johnson City. I had already been there and have been wanting Justin to go so we took seized the opportunity.
  There was an axis deer that kept following Justin around in the petting zoo pen and a baby goat that kept headbutting Justin's fist. That was all cute but didn't compare with the brand new axis deer we saw enjoying some morning milk. It was awesome!









On Sunday we went to church in Marble Falls and ate lunch at the famous Bluebonnet Cafe. In all these years Justin had never been there!

And this is a view from the back of the house. What a way to wake up!

The arch way in the picture was built by my Papaw Despain (my grndmother's dad). It was not there when the original homestead was built but was built, we approximated, between 1920 and 1944 when they moved to Marble Falls. Inside the house are old pictures of my Memaw and her sisters standing in front of the arch. What a neat thing to see still standing. I have an incredible family and loved visiting with Grannie and Memaw and Papaw. Weekends like this leave us wanting more!

1 comment: